Monday, December 8, 2008

Part 1...We Did It!!! A Journey I Will Never Forget!!!

Some of this will be in my own words, other will be quotes from one of our teammates. What an amazing journey we began over 6 months ago. It all started one day when Lia and I were sitting around and I asked her if she would be interested in walking the 3 day with me. She said she would love to do that walk. Well I wasn't really sure how serious she was until a couple of days later, she said she registered for the walk. MmmGhh!! OK well then, I guess she was really serious and now I needed to register. We made a committment and I was going to stick to it!!! She invited 2 of her other dear friends and together we became.....



The Breast Friends...


And this is our Journey...


It starts roughly 20 weeks before, you go to your first meeting and learn all about the walk and what to expect, then off to buy your shoes and exercise clothes, WOW that was quit the expense. Then the "Virtual Training" is sent to you via email every week, beginning with week 20. I won't go week to week...Just some highlights. We basically started walking at 5:30 am 3-4 days a week, walking 3-4 miles, week after week we gradually walked 5-7 miles. Eventually, 4 miles was nothing and 6 was a piece of cake. We then started putting in an 11 mile walk, once a week and thought wow this ain't too bad. (Little did we know) We could walk 11 miles in 3-3 1/2 hours. We felt great!!! Then one day I walked with Theresa and she said she had walked 15 miles the day before and she would walk with me the next day the same route. So off to T's house at 5:45 we walked up and down Vista-Carlsbad and back to Vista. I thought wow this seems an awful long time for only 15 miles, then when we hit a certain time, I thought we should be done by now... Well T GPS'd it on the internet and it was not 15 miles, BUT 17 miles... My feet were so sore and squishy... During my training I was the only one that developed blisters, until Stacey started walking the long walks. We all had some kind of injury. I had blisters and my hip, Stacey her hip and some blisters, Lia and her DARN feet and toes... and T well I don't think Theresa ever had an injury. So during the our training I personally only trained over 250 + or - miles. I had to rest my hip many days and my blisters too... I think Theresa probably did the whole 500 miles of training... How many T?
And the journey continues, until tomorrow and another post...


2 comments:

Julie said...

This is such a cute website. Way to go girl!

Jill said...

Thanks for taking all of us along for the journey. This is amazing that you were able to do this together. Thank you for sharing!