Thursday, December 18, 2008

Day 2 and The Journey Continues...


Day #2


Slept pretty good! I was very warm and comfortable, can't say much for my tent mate though! She had a thin mattress to sleep on, while the rest of us slept like queens. HA! (I did offer her my bed the next night) I am just kidding Lia. It was a little crazy though, you do hear the biffy's (porta pottys) opening and closing, people starting to wake up at a VERY early time, so of course I can't go back to sleep. So I think we got up around 5 am. Then off to breakfast and then we starting walking at 6:30 am.


My calves were pretty sore! I walked down the hills on my tippy toes! But once I started moving, it wasn't as bad.


We met Barry who walks every single walk around the country to raise money for breast cancer - that's 14 walks x 60 miles = 840 miles a year. That would be like walking from the border of Mexico and California along the 5 freeway all the way to the Oregon. He is featured in a calendar that is put out every year that features men who walk or crew the breast cancer walk. The web address is http://www.60milemen.org/ . You must check it out. Barry is Mr. April 2009. Oh, and he's 59 years old.

We met a man who lost his wife to breast cancer 8 years ago. They have 3 children and the youngest was in 3rd grade when she died. This year for the first time, his youngest child was able to walk with him. His team's website is http://www.teamihopeyoudance.org/ . The reason they walk is obvious.

The best part of this day was at the end. Our feet were killing us and we had that last 1 1/2 miles to walk to get to camp. So we decided we would walk on the beach without our shoes. It was amazing! It was like getting an exfoliation of the feet, but even better. The sand between our toes felt so good and then dipping our feet in the cold water was rejuvenating.

Then as we were walking back, Stacey and I stopped to put our shoes back on, so we were a little behind Lia and T. Then I heard what I thought was "Is that Debbie?" (and this was from very far away) I thought ah there is another Debbie up there, then I heard "I think that is Debbie" and I recognized the voice it was Heather Gonzales and then I heard Tanya Nelson's voice. I saw the two of them and ran towards them, crying and I just hugged the two of them for the longest time. That was the best moment that day. To see two of my good friends there cheering a group of us from Ivey Ranch. I just was so happy!

On this day we walked from Mission Bay through Point Loma, Ocean Beach, Sunset Cliffs, and back down the Mission Bay boardwalk. With another 20 under our belt, we checked into camp at 3:00 (around number 1000). After dinner that night we walked up to the remembrance tents. These are white tents that are set up at each walk and are covered with people's writings. They are lit from inside and shine on the top of a hill like a guiding light.


The beginning of a new day

Getting ready to walk again!

View from the street!
Friends Are Stronger Together!


This man we saw many times all weekend. He had many different costumes. At this moment he was a doctor... His sign said "Free Breast Exams". I wish I knew his story! He was the mystery man!

Even the Firefighters were cheering us on

Tanya, Me and Heather... A very special moment!!! A GREAT memory!

Yeah, my sweet friends!

That group there, are moms from our kids elementary school. One of our teachers and friend of mine from elementary school and my children's kindergarten teacher is a survivor. She is doing great and cancer free :) I don't see her until day #3.

End of day 2!

Remebrance Tents

Lia getting her feet massaged

Me getting my feet massaged!!! Oh my heck that was the best!!!

Until another day....

3 comments:

Lisha said...

This is just amazing, I read your first post last week and was just speechless. I can feel the spirit of your walk all the way over here. I am loving your story Debbie.

rachel said...

Wow, Debbie - this looks like it was a great experience. Thank you for doing it. I am hoping to do the regular Komen race for the cure this year. We will see.

Leciawp said...

These pictures and your story are so moving to me!! Thank you so much for posting them. I had to laugh at the camping part...I kinda hate camping because I can't sleep either...my family loves it so the deal is we go once every summer.